Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Palestinian cuisine






We went to Gaza thinking there would be no food to eat and no place to stay in. So, we prepared accordingly, packing sleeping bags and dry food like bread, bottled water and crackers.
It was quite surprising to see that not only was there a very decent place to stay - much better than the rathole we are bunking at in Egypt (misleadingly named the Concorde), but that the food was very good.
It's mainly Middle Eastern cuisine, which means we got lots of bread, starchy rice, kebabs and vegetable salads.
There was also some excellent coffee, and a superb black pepper liver dish called Kibda which was truly mouthwatering and probably the best meal I had since coming here.
Also, the sheesha (I have no idea how to spell the word!) here is something else altogether. I wonder if there's any contraband in it, because a couple of puffs of the cherry flavoured tobacco was enough to make me, as TV3 journalist Razali put it, "kepala pening'..
Though I'd still take my nasi lemak with telur goreng and sambal kerang anytime, I have to admit the food here was a far cry from the maggoty morsels I had imagined I would get.

No comments:

Post a Comment